How does Windows Defender work?
Windows Defender protects your computer in two ways:
1. Scheduled scans of your computer: By default, Windows Defender performs a quick scan of the most likely places for spyware to infect your computer every night at 02:00.
2. Real-time protection: Windows Defender alerts you when malicious programs try to run or install 1themselves.
Minimum system requirements for Windows Defender:
1. Personal computer with an Intel Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) or higher processor; Pentium III recommended.
2. Operating system: Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later.
3. 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (minimum); 128 MB RAM (recommended).
4. 20 MB of available hard disk space.
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
6. Internet access with at least a 28.8 Kbps connection.
7. Windows Installer version 3.1 or higher.