The two types of downloads you can get:
1. Bootable CD (.iso)
2. Bootable floppy disk.
Windows Memory Diagnostic (WMD) is a RAM tester that scans, tests, verifies and determines the Random Access Memory (RAM) on the computer for errors or problems for failing or faulty physical RAM or memory system hardware.
1. Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic setup installer mtinst.exe.
2. Run the mtinst.exe start Windows Memory Diagnostic Setup.
3. Click either one of the two options:
a. Create Startup Disk to install Windows Memory Diagnostic to instantly write the RAM tester on a floppy disk.
b. Save CD Image to Disk if you want to create a CD-ROM that you can use to start your computer.
4. If you select to create a Startup floppy disk, insert a formatted floppy disk into floppy drive, and then select the floppy disk drive from the list provided. Finally--> click Create. When the installation is complete, the Success dialog box will appear.
If you choose to save CD image, select a location where you want to save the ISO image and then--> click Save. When the file has been saved, the Success dialog box will appear. Then burn the ISO image to a blank CD disc.
5. Turn off the PC.
6. Remove all RAM memory module except one stick.
7. Restart the computer.
8. Insert the Windows Memory Diagnostic installed floppy disk or CD into floppy drive or CD/DVD-ROM drive.
9. Ensure that the boot sequence in motherboard BIOS is set to boot from--> floppy disk drive or CD-ROM or DVD-ROM first, instead of hard disk drive.
10. Windows Memory Diagnostic loads and its interface appears. After loading, the first test pass begins and continues until complete, unless you pause or exit Windows Memory Diagnostic.
Once the first test pass finishes consisting a series of 6 tests is complete, WMD will report if it manages to find another error or fault. If no error, Successful message will be shown.
If there is failure, the piece of memory module is likely faulty. You can try to turn off the computer, and then reseat the memory module on its slot, or move it to another slot, and run the test again. It’s also possible to press 'T' key to run extended and thorough test.
11. If no problem found, hit 'X' key to exit from the test.
12. Restart the computer with RAM memory test floppy disk or CD inserted, and repeat the testing process again.