Use MSCONFIG in Windows XP to disable some of the unnecessary programs that automatically load on start-up. Disabling these programs will help your computer boot faster and crash less.
1. Click on Start--> Click Run
2. Type MSCONFIG in the Open box and then either press enter on your keyboard or click on the OK button.
3. This launches Microsoft's System Configuration Utility. Click on the Startup tab.
4. This takes you to a page with a list of "startup items." Startup items are programs that are automatically loaded every time you turn on your computer. Some startup programs are absolutely necessary, others are simply a waste of RAM.
In windows XP, all windows essential programs are loaded through something called windows services. This means that most of the startup items you see in XP are completely optional and can be disabled, however it is recommended to disable only those programs that you recognise.
5. Click on the OK button.
6. A message will pop up requesting you to restart your computer for the changes you made. Click on "Yes" and your computer will automatically reboot.